Monday, May 13, 2013

Growing Hops in Tucson

Two Cascade Hop Vines Growing on the West Side of My House
Can hops grow well in a place like Tucson? That's what I'm trying to find out this summer, my second attempt at growing hops in this hot, dry, very sunny place.

Last year's attempt didn't fair so well, as I did a very poor job at watering my plants. Most of the hop rhizomes I planted didn't get more than 3 inches tall before they withered away.

This year I decided to be diligent with my watering and try again. I ordered two sets of two rhizomes, Cascades and Chinooks.

This year's attempt has so far been a smashing success. My rhizomes all sprouted and took off with a lot of attention and a lot of water to start. When growing anything in Arizona you have to make some adjustments to what is suggested for plant growth in other places. "Don't keep your rhizomes too wet", is all relative. It's very hard to keep something too wet in this weather, and over watering doesn't exactly exist here. Our soil can soak up a lot of stuff.

Also, hops are supposed to get full sun. In my case, I took a bet on full summer sun not quite being the best choice for any non-native plant to this region. Instead of planting the hops on the south side of my house, I placed two on the east side of the house, and two on the west side.


The Small Chinook Hop Vines, Shaded out by Sunflower Plants
The results? So far, so good. I had to build my hop trellises after about three weeks, and the vines are climbing. The east side hops, which receive less sun, but are also on a less steep trellis, are growing more slowly. These plants are also more crowded by other plants. The plants on the west side are growing fast, and may have already tapped a buried grey water chamber nearby.

I'll post more about these plants as they develop and I learn any helpful things about growing hops in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment